Boral Cement / Blue Circle poisoning the Environment since 1870's
creampie

Boral Cement Plant in New Berrima noisy day and night

Postby creampie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Dear Sandra
Snr Information Officer
NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

As suspected, below is a reply from the council confirming that there is no noise level limits or hours of operation limits for Boral Cement at New Berrima.
I will not be attending any useless Boral meetings. Many locals have attended these meetings for years, without any success.
Please advise on next step to take.

Regards

Chris Roubis

---------------
Sent: Wednesday, 25 February 2015 3:18 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Denise ([email protected])
Subject: New Berrima Cement Works

Good after noon Chris.

Denis has copied me into a email conservation that you have been having with the EPA.

Part of the RPA officers response is a little puzzling, regarding the planning issues. Simply there has been a cement works on the site since 1928, and New Berrima evolved as a company town to house workers at the cement works.

The plant has expanded over the years, with approvals given by Council for minor works, and the state Department of Planning for major up grades.

As noted in the EPA response the, EPA licence which regulates the operation of the cement works has a contact line for the public to report breaches in noise. I notice that you have initially made contact with Mr Stuart Hutchings regarding this matter, which is what the company encourages. Should you not find the out come of that acceptable there is the EPA 24/7 COMPLAINTS LINE 131-555 SELECT OPTION 1.

The cement works is having a meeting on Thursday on March 5 to discuss environmental and operational matters associated with the operation of the cement works.

Should you have concerns I would suggest that you phone 48602268 to registrar your interest in attending.

Regards
Graeme

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 12:39 PM
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]

Hi Chris

Boral Cement Works, Berrima, holds a licence with the EPA under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act (POEO Act); and operates with planning permission granted by Council. This means some issues are handled by the EPA; and others by Council.

The issue of the site being allowed to operate near homes is a planning decision; and should therefore be directed to the Council. Councils usually issue planning permission with 'consent conditions' which are attached to the Development Approval (DA). These consent conditions are likely to specify the hours of operation; and also sometimes maximum noise levels at the boundary of the site. If the site is operating outside those hours you should direct the complaint to the Council.

Regarding the EPA licence; which usually controls pollution such as noise, water pollution, dust and other air emissions; and which also specifies reporting requirements of the company. If you wish to have a noise complaint investigated by the EPA you need to be precise and specific; as explained in my previous email. This is generally much easier in a conversation; as the operators can ask questions if the detail you provide is not sufficient. You can phone us 24/7 on 131-555 (select option 1); but for your first report it would be preferable to ring during business hours, 8.30am-5pm weekdays.. Myself or another Environment Line officer can then record the details of your complaint and they can be investigated by an EPA field officer.

You can view the EPA licence number 1698 for this site on the Public Register, at http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/prpoeoapp/Det ... tus=Issued

I hope this has been helpful.

Regards
Sandra
Snr Information Officer
For the NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 05/02/2015 11:49
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]
Hi Sandra,

So much noise comes from your Boral Cement plant every night. It’s like sleeping on an airport runway and listening to a jumbo jet take off. How is a plant allowed to operate next door to residential homes, I will never know. Shouldn’t there be noise level limits in place for a residential area, especially at nights and early mornings?

Regards,

Chris Roubis

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 11:40 AM
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]

Dear Mr Roubis

Did you copy the EPA into this email because you wish to make an official report of the problem? If so, we need more precise information. Please advise at what time the jack hammering occurred; and for how long it lasted (eg date or date range; time or time range) and explain how it affected you. For example, could you not hear the television at normal volume; or did it prevent you sleeping; or did it wake you up.

You might find that a phone call to Environment Line (ph 131-555) is the quickest way to report this. This phone line is staffed 24/7.

Regards
Sandra
Snr Information Officer
NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 02/02/2015 15:33
Subject: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698)

Sent: 2015/01/28 04:50:39
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>; Hutchings, Stuart <[email protected]>; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: Jack Hammering Noise from New Berrima Site
Hello again Stuart,

So much noise comes from your Boral Cement plant every night. It’s like sleeping on an airport runway and listening to a jumbo jet take off. How is a plant allowed to operate next door to residential homes, I will never know.
Shouldn’t there be noise level limits in place for a residential area, especially at nights and early mornings?
Why is Wingecarribee Council turning a blind eye to all this? I have heard of peoples stories and experiences of how corrupt the council is. Might explain how things are the way they are.
Regards,

Chris

Sent: Monday, 12 January 2015 12:18 PM
Cc: Ford, Craig; Hazeltine, Paul; Paicu, Gabriel
Subject: Jack Hammering Noise from Berrima Site

Chris,

I received notification of a concern you raised regarding a jack hammering noise at night from the Berrima plant.

I must firstly apologies for any disturbance from our plant.

The noise you noticed was the result of removal of refractory from our kiln as part of the current kiln major repair work which we carry out each year. Unfortunately this work typically requires operation 24 hrs per day for a short period of time however we will look at our options going forward in future shuts to see what we can do to keep the noise down. This work has now been completed.

If you would like to discuss this matter further I would be happy to do so via the contact numbers below.

Once again I apologies for any concern this incident has caused you.

Regards

Stuart.

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager

Telephone: 02 4860 2267
Mobile: 0401894120
Fax: 02 4860 2388
Email: [email protected]

[Inline image URL : about:blank]

Boral Cement
Taylor Avenue New Berrima, Berrima NSW 2577
http://www.boral.com.au
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to stay silent.
Don't let Bullies and Terrorists step all over you.

Admin

Re: Boral Cement Plant in New Berrima noisy day and night

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:51 pm

Fake noise assessment by Boral and Corrupt EPA of NSW.
https://www.boral.com.au/sites/default/ ... Report.pdf
Government is Organized Crime. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE. UCC 1-308

Return to “Boral Cement / Blue Circle complaints”