Corrupt Boral Blue Circle Cement & NSW EPA

Share your experience. Get it off your chest, good or bad.
creampie

Corrupt Boral Blue Circle Cement & NSW EPA

Postby creampie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Don't bother complaining to:

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager

Telephone: 02 4860 2267
Mobile: 0401894120
Fax: 02 4860 2388
Email: [email protected]
Boral Cement, Taylor Avenue New Berrima, Berrima NSW 2577

New Berrima residents in the Southern Highlands are familiar with the very loud Boral Cement plant in their neighborhood. If any Real Estate agent tries to sell you a property in New Berrima, make sure you run like hell. You will never get a quiet night's sleep ever again. :((

NSW EPA [Enviromental protection Agency] should be called Corporate Protection Agency.. giving corporations licenses to destroy our environment.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to stay silent.
Don't let Bullies and Terrorists step all over you.

creampie

Re: Boral Cement Plant in New Berrima noisy day and night

Postby creampie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:30 pm

In relation to the subject complaint, please be advised that Berrima Cement Works holds an Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) issued by the NSW EPA. Accordingly, all complaints about environmental performance of this business should be made to the NSW EPA on phone 131 555 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Kind regards

Denis Boulavine Environmental Health Officer
Wingecarribee Shire Council
Civic Centre, Elizabeth St. Moss Vale, NSW 2577 | PO Box 141 Moss Vale NSW 2577. DX 4961 Bowral
t: (02) 4868 0857 f: (02) 4869 1203
e: [email protected]

www.wsc.nsw.gov.au

creampie

Postby creampie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Boral Cement Works, Berrima, holds a licence with the EPA under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act (POEO Act); and operates with planning permission granted by Council. This means some issues are handled by the EPA; and others by Council.

The issue of the site being allowed to operate near homes is a planning decision; and should therefore be directed to the Council. Councils usually issue planning permission with 'consent conditions' which are attached to the Development Approval (DA). These consent conditions are likely to specify the hours of operation; and also sometimes maximum noise levels at the boundary of the site. If the site is operating outside those hours you should direct the complaint to the Council.

Regarding the EPA licence; which usually controls pollution such as noise, water pollution, dust and other air emissions; and which also specifies reporting requirements of the company. If you wish to have a noise complaint investigated by the EPA you need to be precise and specific; as explained in my previous email. This is generally much easier in a conversation; as the operators can ask questions if the detail you provide is not sufficient. You can phone us 24/7 on 131-555 (select option 1); but for your first report it would be preferable to ring during business hours, 8.30am-5pm weekdays.. Myself or another Environment Line officer can then record the details of your complaint and they can be investigated by an EPA field officer.

You can view the EPA licence number 1698 for this site on the Public Register, at http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/prpoeoapp/Det ... tus=Issued

I hope this has been helpful.

Regards
Sandra
Snr Information Officer
For the NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

creampie

Postby creampie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:28 am

Using a sound meter app on my phone. Sensitivity on my phone is no where near the quality of a proper industrial sound meter.
Attachments
2015-02-07T01-09-38IMG.jpg
Boral Cement Plant in New Berrima noisy day and night
2015-02-07T01-09-38IMG.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 10649 times

creampie

Postby creampie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Dear Sandra
Snr Information Officer
NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

As suspected, below is a reply from the council confirming that there is no noise level limits or hours of operation limits for Boral Cement at New Berrima.
I will not be attending any useless Boral meetings. Many locals have attended these meetings for years, without any success.
Please advise on next step to take.

Regards

---------------
Sent: Wednesday, 25 February 2015 3:18 PM
To:
Cc: Denise ([email protected])
Subject: New Berrima Cement Works

Good after noon

Denis has copied me into a email conservation that you have been having with the EPA.

Part of the RPA officers response is a little puzzling, regarding the planning issues. Simply there has been a cement works on the site since 1928, and New Berrima evolved as a company town to house workers at the cement works.

The plant has expanded over the years, with approvals given by Council for minor works, and the state Department of Planning for major up grades.

As noted in the EPA response the, EPA licence which regulates the operation of the cement works has a contact line for the public to report breaches in noise. I notice that you have initially made contact with Mr Stuart Hutchings regarding this matter, which is what the company encourages. Should you not find the out come of that acceptable there is the EPA 24/7 COMPLAINTS LINE 131-555 SELECT OPTION 1.

The cement works is having a meeting on Thursday on March 5 to discuss environmental and operational matters associated with the operation of the cement works.

Should you have concerns I would suggest that you phone 48602268 to registrar your interest in attending.

Regards
Graeme

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 12:39 PM
To:
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]

Hi

Boral Cement Works, Berrima, holds a licence with the EPA under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act (POEO Act); and operates with planning permission granted by Council. This means some issues are handled by the EPA; and others by Council.

The issue of the site being allowed to operate near homes is a planning decision; and should therefore be directed to the Council. Councils usually issue planning permission with 'consent conditions' which are attached to the Development Approval (DA). These consent conditions are likely to specify the hours of operation; and also sometimes maximum noise levels at the boundary of the site. If the site is operating outside those hours you should direct the complaint to the Council.

Regarding the EPA licence; which usually controls pollution such as noise, water pollution, dust and other air emissions; and which also specifies reporting requirements of the company. If you wish to have a noise complaint investigated by the EPA you need to be precise and specific; as explained in my previous email. This is generally much easier in a conversation; as the operators can ask questions if the detail you provide is not sufficient. You can phone us 24/7 on 131-555 (select option 1); but for your first report it would be preferable to ring during business hours, 8.30am-5pm weekdays.. Myself or another Environment Line officer can then record the details of your complaint and they can be investigated by an EPA field officer.

You can view the EPA licence number 1698 for this site on the Public Register, at http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/prpoeoapp/Det ... tus=Issued

I hope this has been helpful.

Regards
Sandra
Snr Information Officer
For the NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 05/02/2015 11:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]
Hi Sandra,

So much noise comes from your Boral Cement plant every night. It’s like sleeping on an airport runway and listening to a jumbo jet take off. How is a plant allowed to operate next door to residential homes, I will never know. Shouldn’t there be noise level limits in place for a residential area, especially at nights and early mornings?

Regards,

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 11:40 AM
To:
Subject: RE: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698) [ ref:_00D90ZANp._50090fmG6P:ref ]

Dear Mr

Did you copy the EPA into this email because you wish to make an official report of the problem? If so, we need more precise information. Please advise at what time the jack hammering occurred; and for how long it lasted (eg date or date range; time or time range) and explain how it affected you. For example, could you not hear the television at normal volume; or did it prevent you sleeping; or did it wake you up.

You might find that a phone call to Environment Line (ph 131-555) is the quickest way to report this. This phone line is staffed 24/7.

Regards
Sandra
Snr Information Officer
NSW EPA/OEH
Ph; 131-555

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 02/02/2015 15:33
Subject: FW: Your complaint - Berrima Cement Works - Environment Protection Licence (Lic. No. 1698)

Sent: 2015/01/28 04:50:39
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>; Hutchings, Stuart <[email protected]>; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: Jack Hammering Noise from New Berrima Site
Hello again Stuart,

So much noise comes from your Boral Cement plant every night. It’s like sleeping on an airport runway and listening to a jumbo jet take off. How is a plant allowed to operate next door to residential homes, I will never know.
Shouldn’t there be noise level limits in place for a residential area, especially at nights and early mornings?
Why is Wingecarribee Council turning a blind eye to all this? I have heard of peoples stories and experiences of how corrupt the council is. Might explain how things are the way they are.
Regards,

Sent: Monday, 12 January 2015 12:18 PM
Cc: Ford, Craig; Hazeltine, Paul; Paicu, Gabriel
Subject: Jack Hammering Noise from Berrima Site

I received notification of a concern you raised regarding a jack hammering noise at night from the Berrima plant.

I must firstly apologies for any disturbance from our plant.

The noise you noticed was the result of removal of refractory from our kiln as part of the current kiln major repair work which we carry out each year. Unfortunately this work typically requires operation 24 hrs per day for a short period of time however we will look at our options going forward in future shuts to see what we can do to keep the noise down. This work has now been completed.

If you would like to discuss this matter further I would be happy to do so via the contact numbers below.

Once again I apologies for any concern this incident has caused you.

Regards

Stuart.

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager

[Inline image URL : about:blank]

Boral Cement
Taylor Avenue New Berrima, Berrima NSW 2577
http://www.boral.com.au

creampie

Postby creampie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Boral Cement noise limits
Attachments
Boral Cement Berrima - Environment Protection Licnece 1698_noise limits.jpg
Boral Cement is in breach of their EPA license.
Boral Cement Berrima - Environment Protection Licnece 1698_noise limits.jpg (185.15 KiB) Viewed 10515 times

creampie

Postby creampie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Thank you Matt,

In Section L6.2 it states in Argyle street near Taylor Avenue New Berrima, noise levels should be no greater than 40db for a 15 minute period at night time. It’s 10.44 pm right now and I have readings of 56db all night long. Boral Cement is in breach of their EPA license.

Regards,

Sent: Tuesday, 3 March 2015 6:23 PM
To:
Subject: Boral Cement Berrima

Hi

I’ve attached a copy of the Environment Protection Licence for Boral Cement Berrima (number 1698) as discussed.

In the section titled “Limits” there are specific noise limits outlined in table L6.1 for Day, Evening and Night.

If you have any questions give me a call.

Regards
Matt Fuller
Regional Operations Officer| NSW Environment Protection Authority |
: (02) 42244100 | : (02) 42244110 |:[email protected]
Attachments
12-03-2015 Argyle st.jpg
Boral Cement New Berrima
12-03-2015 Argyle st.jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 10514 times

creampie

Postby creampie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Matt,

That is sad to hear, Boral can continue doing what they want. Sounds to me like the EPA license they have benefits Boral Cement only. Sad to see that the EPA are more like controlled opposition for Big Money. Corruption is everywhere I’m afraid.

Regards

Sent: Friday, 13 March 2015 11:01 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Boral Cement New Berrima

Hi

The 2 sets of noise limits on the Berrima licence at the moment relate to just the 2 specific areas of the plant, cement mill 7 and the Kiln 6 upgrade project.

To monitor these is complicated requiring some on/off monitoring with the various areas of the plant, as well as allowing for the contributions from background noise in the area.

EPA and Boral are working toward having noise limits on the licence that will cover noise from the whole plant so will be easier to understand. These will be put on the licence soon.

If you would like to discuss just give me a call.

Regards
Matt Fuller

creampie

Re: Corrupt Boral Cement & EPA of NSW

Postby creampie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi again Matt,

Sorry I missed your calls twice. I tried also calling you. Maybe we can talk tomorrow. Meanwhile I will show you a picture of cement dust all over my car from Boral Cement plant. Every time I try to use the wipers it just scratches the windshield.

Regards,
Attachments
Boral Cement dust over cars.jpg
Boral Cement dust storms over New Berrima
Boral Cement dust over cars.jpg (654.4 KiB) Viewed 10486 times
Boral cement dust.jpg
Boral cement dust covering vehicles in New Berrima
Boral cement dust.jpg (204.7 KiB) Viewed 10401 times

creampie

Re: Corrupt Boral Cement & EPA

Postby creampie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm

EPA - Environmental protection Authority should change their name to CPA - Corporate protection Authority.
EPA protects corporations, not the environment. $-)

creampie

Postby creampie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:21 am

creampie

Postby creampie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Thank you Stuart,

But you still haven’t told me what solutions you will provide for breaching noise levels, and stopping cement dust from covering New Berrima daily. EPA, Wingecarribee Council, Goulburn MP, are all in your pockets.
You are already aware of the issues raised by me, and the many residents who have complained in the past, but your Billion dollar Corporation has not done a thing about it, except pretend to care in public general meetings.
If Boral was serious, they could of at least erected a pre fabricated concrete high wall all around Boral. ( like they do on freeways)

Regards

Chris

Sent: Monday, 6 April 2015 12:33 PM
To: Chris
Subject: RE: Noise Monitoring tonight - New Berrima

Chris,

As per my previous email we would be pleased for one of our team to come and discuss the issues you have raised in person.

If you could let us know a date and time that suits you we can then make the necessary arrangements.

Regards

Stuart.

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager - NSW

Boral Cement
www.boral.com.au

Sent: Thursday, 2 April 2015 7:49 PM
To: Hutchings, Stuart
Cc: Matthew Fuller; [email protected]; [email protected]; Info

Hi Stuart,

What changes did you make when New Berrima residents were complaining about cement dust and breaching noise limits in the past?

Regards

Chris

Sent: Thursday, 2 April 2015 12:24 PM

Chris,

We would be pleased for one of our team to come and discuss the issues you have raised in person.

Is there a date/time that would suit you ?

Regards

Stuart.

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager - NSW

Boral Cement
www.boral.com.au

Sent: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 7:39 PM
To: Hutchings, Stuart; [email protected]; [email protected]; Info; Matthew Fuller; [email protected]

Hi Stuart,

Breathing in cement dust is a daily occurrence, your EPA license is a joke. It should be called CPA license (corporate protection authority instead) There is no need to pretend this is a one off incident. Boral Cement dust builds up daily on my car, till it gets thicker and thicker, that I need to hose some of it off or else cannot see through the windows. Some still remains on the car and builds up again.

If you do not believe me that Boral Cement dust covers New Berrima on a daily basis, I am happy to get my car detailed once a week holding a daily newspaper showing the date, to prove this happens daily.

Regards

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 3:47 PM
Cc: 'Matthew Fuller'

Chris,

We have not ignored your email.

If you could please advise some details (including date and time and location) related to when you believe dust from our site has impacted on your car then we would be happy to follow up on the incident with you.

Could you also please provide a phone number on which we could contact you.

Regards

Stuart.

STUART HUTCHINGS
Operations Manager - NSW

Boral Cement
www.boral.com.au

Sent: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 3:37 PM
To: 'Matthew Fuller'; Info; Hutchings, Stuart

Hi Matt,

Went to Boral’s website to ask who to send a car detailers invoice when I get my car cleaned from Boral’s cement dust.. they are ignoring my email.

Regards

Chris

Return to “Southern Highlands Praise or Shame”