Tiger Woods not worthy of Australian Tax payers money

Southern Highlands News Community News
creampie

Tiger Woods not worthy of Australian Tax payers money

Postby creampie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:15 am

They loved his work on the fairways, but the antics of Tiger Woods off the course have the Victorian Nationals in a spin.

They say the golfer's behaviour should disqualify him from again receiving taxpayer dollars to play in Australia.

The Brumby Government in Victoria is considering spending millions to again lure Woods back to Melbourne, but the state's deputy Opposition leader, the Nationals' Peter Ryan, is not happy.

Last year taxpayers reportedly contributed $1.5 million towards the golfer's appearance fee to play at the Australian Masters.

The Brumby Government said it was worth every penny. Soon after, it released a report claiming the tournament injected more than $34 million into the state's economy.

But Mr Ryan says the revelations of Woods's private life should rule him out from receiving any more taxpayer money.

"I think there is a reticence in [the] community about doing that, and I think the Premier should hasten slowly," he said.

"Like it or not, people who fulfil a role such as that which Tiger Woods does are role models. They mightn't choose to be so, but they are.

"I think it can very fairly be said that when he was in Australia last year, he conducted himself in the public eye accordingly. I think there was universal acclaim for the way in which he presented himself.

"We now know of course that other things were occurring in different areas of the man's life, and I think therefore people have a sense of being let down."

The Government has accused Mr Ryan of behaving more like a moral police shadow minister, but Mr Ryan says his constituents will back him on the issue.

"There has been a lot of comments from people about it because we are in an age where increasingly we are struggling to try and imbue our young people with a sense of standards and a sense of respect," he said

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 827581.htm
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to stay silent.
Don't let Bullies and Terrorists step all over you.

Return to “Southern Highlands News”