Investigations are continuing on how asbestos-contaminated road base was sold from a council tip for up to two months without detection.
A report was made at the end of May alerting of the asbestos present in crushed concrete at a council-run tip in Moss Vale, in the NSW Southern Highlands.
The council's general manager, Ann Prendergast, told the ABC last week that no fill was sold before testing showed it to be clean.
"All precautionary measures have been taken [and] it's not an area that is usually frequented by the public," Ms Prendergast said.
"It's not open to the public and staff are being restricted to that area as far as possible and obviously, they will be taking all necessary precautions."
Wingecarribee Shire Council has confirmed that Ms Prendergast was not informed of the situation until July 28, two months after the contamination was discovered.
In addition, contractor Mark Nelson has shown the ABC an invoice revealing he bought a load of the contaminated fill from the tip on June 18, almost three weeks after the contamination report.
His truck is now parked and unusable because it is filled with an asbestos-contaminated load, which he has no licence to transport.
Mr Nelson said he was not alone, and said his experience contradicted the council's assertion that none of the fill was used as gravel on properties in the Southern Highlands.
"I've talked to other contractors who have indicated they've bought the product as well in that intervening time period," he said.
"I guess it's very questionable how honest that comment is."
A spokesman for Wingecarribee Shire Council said Ms Prendergast was unavailable for further comment while investigations were proceeding.